Tuesday, December 02, 2008

No, Lord!


This week I was listening to Kevin Swanson's radio broadcast, "Generations," when I heard a two-day presentation of a sermon by Dr. R.C. Sproul, Jr as delivered to Swanson's church's family camp a few years ago. It is fabulous! (Part one can be heard HERE, and part two HERE. To download, go HERE and look at broadcast dates December 1 and 2, 2008.)

I'd like to reflect on just one small part of the sermon.

R.C. spoke of the "R.C. Sproul, Jr. Principle of Hermeneutics" ...namely, when you see someone in the Bible doing something really stupid, don't ask how they could be so stupid. Rather, ask, "How am I that stupid?!"

So here's one. Right after Peter confesses Jesus as the Christ and is commended by Christ, Jesus tells His disciples he must go, suffer, and die. Peter responds, "No, Lord!" Consider that statement for a minute. How many times have you passed right by it? "No, Lord!" is the ultimate in oxymorons! You don't say, "No," to your "Lord!" If Jesus is your Lord, you cannot say "No!"

In applying the R.C. Sproul, Jr Principle of Hermeneutics, I need to ask myself how I have done that. The answer is frightening.

How often do I do something I know wouldn't be pleasing to my Lord? How often do I not do something I know would be pleasing to Him? How often do I neglect Him and His Word? How often do I read something in His Word and then refuse to believe it or refuse to believe it applies to me? How often do I not change the way I live when I see a principle in my Lord's Word that would require me to do so? How often....

Sobering, isn't it?

Drives you to your knees, doesn't it? (And if it doesn't...consider going to I John and checking out the tests for the authenticity of your salvation!)

It is something that is worthy of much time in prayer and repentance. And then read your Bible! When you see your Lord commanding you to do something, to not do something, to think a certain way, to act a certain way...write it down in a notebook. Pray for the strength to do it...and then do it! A little bit every day will bring you more and more into conformity with Scripture and thus into Christ-likeness.

Oh... and listen to the sermon! This was just a small jewel from the diamond mine that Sproul brings forth!

No comments: